The Litany Against Fear

I will not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. (Frank Herbert)

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

fight mode

As I am anxiously waiting for the induction this Friday it occurs to me that I am more nervous about giving birth then I was for my mastectomy. It helps that I was unconscious for that event, but still, in the days leading up to it I wasn't as nervous as I am now. I think I was less apprehensive then because I was in fight mode. I had accepted what was to be as a necessary part of fighting cancer. Now I'm not in fight mode, and it's not just me that will be put to the test. So somehow, between today and Friday, I've got to get into a mindset that I'm going to handle childbirth as best I can for Anya's sake. She needs me to be strong, so I'll do my damnedest.

1 comment:

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

Of course you are nervous, this will be a very, very big day!! I am so excited for you opening up this very special package, Anya, who is such a gift. And every day she will reveal more to you who she really is. As precious as she is, she will be more work but I assume you will have your family there to help with the heavy lifting so all you do is stare into her eyes. Sending Happy thoughts (as prayers from me don't mean much)
Sue