The Litany Against Fear

I will not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. (Frank Herbert)

Friday, October 30, 2009

Anya has arrived!





ANYA LEE POPP

born:
10/23/2009, 10:15 pm
4 lbs 12 oz, 15 inches

...and DAMN CUTE!



Induction started Friday morning and was pretty dull until late evening. Active labor for a couple of hours, pushing for 20 minutes and whoosh! out she came. The NICU nurses hadn't even made it downstairs yet! My doctor prepared me by telling me that Anya came so fast they weren't quite ready so they called a CODE to get them to hurry. She also warned me that there was about to be 10 more people in the room...and I was still legs spread. Good times!

Anya had a little trouble remembering to breathe in her first few minutes but soon got the hang of it. By the time they showed her to me she was breathing on her own. Then she was whisked up to the NICU so they could keep a close watch on her.

Over the last week she's had some ups and downs. Problems holding her temperature, keeping food down, and a little jaundice. Today, exactly one week after her birthday, she was moved to a different floor where NICU babies go for a few days before they're released. She's eating plenty of food now and keeping it down, her temperature is steady, and the jaundice started to come down without the need for UV lights. We're hoping to have her home by Monday. Fingers and toes crossed.

Funniest thing that happened...

On Wednesday my milk came in. My breast was ginormous and red and painful. Eerily reminded me of when I was first diagnosed and MY cancer WAS painful. I mentioned it to the nurse taking care of Anya that day and she asked a lactation consultant to speak to me (even though I can't breastfeed due to Herceptin). So both the nurse and the lact. lady came and pulled the curtain closed. I lifted up the right side of my shirt to show them, but held my arm over my left side. They both commented that it looked very swollen, but could they look at the left breast to compare. With a smirk I said, "Uh, no, I don't have it anymore." They both said "Oh!" followed by an awkward silence. Without something to compare it to they really couldn't tell me if my breast was normal, so they told me to ice it and take pain meds and let them know if it got worse.

4 comments:

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

She is so, so, beautiful!!! I've checked on your blog several times to see whast was going on. I assumed correctly that you were very busy but I was hoping for good news and today, there is was!!! And she seems to be good sized considering everything. A neighborhood woman our family is close to just had a fullterm baby the same size. But enjoy your precious miracle!!!!

TNBCAmazon said...

Aaaawwww -- little Anya is so cute!!! I had been thinking of you and hoping for a smooth delivery. So I was glad to see this post. Congratulations on the safe arrival of your little miracle mini-batty!!!
It is wonderful that she seems to have made it through the worst already and might be coming home Monday. She must be one tough little cookie to do so well despite all the chemical assaults and the premature delivery. So I guess you'd better get some sleep while you can...
Congratulations again to all of you. This is the most wonderful news.

Daria said...

What a treasure ... she is so beautiful!

Batty said...

Thanks!