The Litany Against Fear

I will not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. (Frank Herbert)

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Breast Cancer Awareness Month and too Much Pink

I'm posting this again because it's worth getting the word out. (Not that anyone reads my blog.) People think they should buy something that's pink to support breast cancer, but do they ever wonder just which chairities get the money and how much money is actually going to those charities? It seems to me that companies are more interested in their image then in helping the fight against breast cancer. The one that gets me is Yoplait, which (according to the http://www.thinkbeforeyoupink.org/ website) donates ten cents for every pink yogurt lid mailed back to the company—it would take 4 lids just to make up for the price of the stamp. So while I want people to be involved in fighting to end breast cancer it worries me that in the end the only people really profiting are the companies, not patients and survivors. Still, there is some benefit to a world awash with pink items...it gets the word out that breast cancer is still deadly to many women (and a few men) and maybe someday it needn't be so.

No comments: