The Litany Against Fear

I will not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. (Frank Herbert)

Monday, April 14, 2008

Hoop Dreams

I just went to what might possibly be the last Sonics game in Seattle. Against crazy odds we actually won. The excitement of winning a challenging game in the final seconds is why basketball is a great sport to watch. However, the win wasn't the highlight, nor was the two minute standing ovation for Gary Payton. The highlight was when the entire crowd got to their feet and for several minutes chanted, "Save our Sonics!" Not surprisingly, I cried. It was nice to be there and feel that love and devotion to a team that this year finished second to last but many years ago actually won a Championship game.

My mother loved most sports and she was a passionate and devoted all-weather fan of all of Seattle's teams. I remember how her eyes would tear up whenever she told the story of the Sonics winning the championship. Since she was picking my brothers up from something she wasn't able to see the win, but she was listening to the radio broadcast in her car. When the final buzzer sounded, everywhere she looked people were waving and honking their horns and just simply enjoying the feeling of Our Team winning the Big One.

I am aware that there is something fundamentally wrong with the NBA, and people have lost interest in it. I agree that it is shameful to hold the city responsible for whether the Sonics stay or go by the jackass that bought them. However, I also feel it is wrong for the city and the state to do little more then gestures to keep the team here, and sad that no one seems to care. I know my mom would care, and she wouldn't be able to sit idly by while they took her team away.

If only the Sonics had more all-weather fans, more people chanting, "Save Our Sonics," and more people like my mom who would be heartbroken to see them leave. If only...

No comments: