The Litany Against Fear

I will not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. (Frank Herbert)

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Impossible Decision

I have a tiny tumor on my left frontal lobe; somewhere above and behind my left eye. So once again cancer is having a grand time finding places in my brain to settle down and raise a family. I'm getting it gamma knifed next week. Then what?

Spot Treatment (current plan)
Keep taking Herceptin 'cause it works from the neck down. Keep getting MRIs every couple of months. Hope for the best expect the worst. When tumors show in my brain, zap 'em with radiation. REPEAT. If the tumors in the brain start to get out of control, then whole-brain radiation.

The Alternative
Lapatinib aka Tykerb. Herceptin's cousin. Oral medication so no more monthly treatments. Very expensive. If it works at all, it may offer some protection for my brain.

What to do?
I have no idea. I'm afraid of what constant zapping will do to my brain. I don't want to go through this over and over and over until the end of my days. So part of me wants to try Lapatinib . The other part of me is scared shitless of going off of Herceptin. It's working, sort of. Is "sort of" the best I can expect? Is "sort of" better than the "maybe" that I'll get by switching to Lapatinib? If I go on Lapatinib and it doesn't work there is nothing else. All I can do is go back to Herceptin and hope it works again, but since that is never presented as an option I can only assume going back isn't ideal.

I don't know how to make this decision and I feel very alone and helpless. Half the time I want to sleep and never wake up. Half the time I can't sleep for the constant worry in my head.

No comments: