The Litany Against Fear

I will not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. (Frank Herbert)

Thursday, November 27, 2008

America

As I was flipping channels I saw this guy being interviewed about the attacks in India and how they seem to be targeting Americans. It was his opinion that people who go overseas and act American are just asking for trouble. This pissed me off. I know the rest of the world is very unhappy with us. I know that wearing something with an American flag on it or a Western Washington University sweatshirt is like wearing a neon sign. Rationally I know that Americans should try to tone down the American pride thing (deemed as arrogance elsewhere in the world) but it still burns me up inside that we can't go outside our country and say, "Hi I'm an American, but I really like your country, so what do you say we have a bite to eat?" Of course there would be trouble with translation books and whatnot....why haven't they invented implants that automatically translate foreign languages?

No comments: