The Litany Against Fear

I will not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. (Frank Herbert)

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

What is Creative Non-Fiction?

When I tell people I write Creative Non-Fiction they usually have no idea what I'm talking about. It's a new genre that has yet to be fully defined. There's a lot of debate about what counts as CNF, but for my purposes I like to view it as fictionalized truth or embellished reality. Sometimes I stretch reality so far that it seems fiction, it is fiction in that it could never possibly be real, but it always has a basis in fact, truth, or my perceptions. I know that doesn't make sense. Frankly I don't get it either. So if you read some of my "creative non-fiction" and wonder how a particular piece even qualifies, ask away and I'll attempt to elaborate. You'll also notice that prefer the short format or even the short short format. They read as anecdotes of life and that suits my purposes just fine because my life is only interesting anecdotally.

No comments: