The Litany Against Fear

I will not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. (Frank Herbert)

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Why I Think Hospitals Suck

This list is in no particular order.....

Food. While the food at Northwest Hospital is the best hospital food I've ever had, it's still hospital food.

Piss and shit inspections. I had to pee in a "hat" so they could measure my output. I was also not supposed to flush the toilet, but did anyway. When they discovered this I was reprimanded, but that didn't stop me. I was willing to pee in the nasty, stinky, hat, but I draw the line at shit inspection.

Every couple of hours they come in and take your blood pressure, your temperature, and your pulse. Notice I don't blame the Nurses Aides that have to do this; it's just lame that it has to be done.

Hooked up to iv's. After so many rounds of chemo you'd think I'd be used to it, and to a certain degree I am, but it still sucks. Especially at night.

A really, really uncomfortable bed that makes lots of noise. Despite wonderful advances in bed technology, they're still lumpy and made my back and neck ache like crazy.

Nurses and/or assistants who have only a limited understanding of English. I know this sounds racist, but after what I've been through I can't help but be a little peeved. It just seems wrong to put someone in charge of your health and well-being who can't understand most of what you say to them.

Said before, saying again....people employed to take blood draws that can't find a vein to save their lives. I've decided they're sadistic and like to watch people squirm.

An entire staff of people who have no clue what's going on, and yet are entirely in control of your existance.

Being told that you'll have surgery at 12 and not able to eat until afterwards, and then being told the surgery will be later and you'll still have to wait.

Being told day after day that even though you feel better you will have to stay another day.

Loud people in near-by rooms who hoot when the M's score, say "rock on" when their food is delivered, and tell every person that comes into their room about their cool iPhone. I wanted to walk in his room and explain to him the concept of an "inside voice".

Crappy televisions. What's the point of giving me a bunch of channels I don't have at home (Animal Planet rocks!) but on a blurry tv with terrible sound?


....and that's the small corner of hell I've been living in since July 13th. Home now and hoping never to go back but know it's bound to happen sooner or later.

No comments: