The Litany Against Fear

I will not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. (Frank Herbert)

Friday, November 3, 2006

Asymmetry

It's been so long since I've written, but I'm finally feeling like myself again. Actually, I'm feeling rather asymmetrical in my chest, but other than that I feel fine. It took me quite awhile to recover from the surgery. I'm apparently allergic to most pain medications so I was experiencing a great deal of pain and not sleeping well. On top of that I had chemo a week after surgery so that slowed the healing process. But now I'm doing okay. I'm even working full time again, and that makes me really tired, but I'm kind of used to being tired. My birthday is in a few days. I'll be 28. I'll be almost old enough for the breast cancer diagnosis to be a little less unusual. Normally at this time of year I'd be treating myself to an expensive haircut and highlights, but all I'll get this year is another buzz cut from Peter. I might sound a little depressed, but I don't really feel that sad. I know I'll be around next year, and I'm already planning what to do with my hair. Luckily I don't have to have any treatments this weekend, so I can enjoy celebrating my birthday without feeling crappy.

Addendum: After the biopsy of the tumor from my breast the doctors determined that the reason the tumor stopped responding is because it was an entirely different tumor. It is possible it was there all along, but surrounded by the other tumor so it didn't show up on the scans. It might even be the first tumor and the other tumor was just a morph of the first. This is explains why there was still positive change in the lymph nodes and liver. It is also really good news because it means that the tumor in the liver should continue to respond to the present treatment.