The Litany Against Fear

I will not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. (Frank Herbert)

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

My First Chemotherapy

I wasn't prepared for it. Nothing I read, nothing they told me, nothing could prepare me for the terrifying process of a chemotherapy infusion. I brought my sister-in-law and husband for moral support, but it was not enough. The treatment room was full of people and there wasn't enough room for them to be close to me. They sat a few feet away trying to talk about other things and stay positive. I couldn't even hear them. When they went to get something to eat I cried. Big silent tears that I couldn't contain despite my best efforts. Treatment took all day because they had to go slow the first time. Other than being physically and emotionally exhausted, I had no side-effects to the drugs. I wasn't prepared for that either.

The side-effects did come, only later. Some the next day, some the day after. Each day it seemed like there was something new. None of them good. After five days I was about 85% recovered, so I went back to work.